Sunday, August 16, 2009

Anecdote

One childhood story I want to share which is my all time favorite. Once in my summer holidays when I was in 5th std I went to my village Benipur with my family. At that time we all cousins used to get together for the holidays and have fun. My younger sister beauty, my cousin brother Prince Bhaiya and I used to play together. We have a big mango orchard in Benipur but it needs to be taken care of when magoes are there or else we will not get any. So my Grandpa used to assign all of us some duties to take care of the place and mangoes.
All of us used to play whole day there, cricket, football, tree game, gulli danda and what not. Even Grandpa used to stay there whole day with us telling us stories and other facts for our knowledge.
So one day when my Grandpa left for his dinner to home and asked us to stay on the road outside the orchard on the khatia till the time he comes back, three of us agreed and started talking.
Suddenly an idea came in our mind, to make Mahua leaf plates and to eat dinner in that. It was dark by then. We had one Mahua tree near by, but it was not ours. It was of our neighbours. We decided to pluck leaves from that and make our plates. But the branches of tree were high so we asked our brother who was eldest and tallest of all, to jump and catch hold of a branch and tilt it down so that me and my sister can pluck the leaves.
As soon as he did that the branch cracked with a sound. Our neighbour who was a furious old lady shouted. We got scared and picked up the leaves and hid them in the bushes near by and went and sat on the cot as if we were not aware of anything. She came to us and asked who did that. Then suddenly I started fake crying and said even we dont know got scared as we have heard that one ghost lives inside the well which is near the Mahua tree. Then she said no need to get scared and sat with us reciting story till our Grandpa came. As soon as she left we collected the leaves we had plucked and left for home, made plates out of it and ate in those plate that night.
Nobody knew the story except three of us. I still miss those great days spent in my village.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Shalini
    Tumhari Ye Story Padhake, muze mere bachapan ke din yyad aa gaye, kitana maja aata hai. aur aise kai bate hoti hai jo badoko kitane din tak pata hi nahi rahati. aapane likhi bhi bahot achi hai
    thanks

    love
    Chetna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chetna
    Ye to bahut acchi baat hai ki meri story ne tumhe bhi apni bachpan ki masti ke din yaad dila diye and tnx a lot fr the complement
    regards
    shalini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shuru se hi jooth bolne k adat h,, :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post..
    Reminded me of my hey days at Sitapur(nr Lucknow) where my nanaji had mango orchard :)

    ReplyDelete